Cover if you MUST
We were asked about #CoverLetter basics today and shot a quick response out. In our experience, they are not used much but if you must, LEVERAGE IT appropriately.
(1) Never use a generic format / one sizes fits all approach
(2) Use bullets to highlight specific ways you solve the client’s problems – that are IN ADDITION to your resume
(3) You have to grab your audience via your Personal Brand in the first two bullets – like we say about the top 4″ of a resume ~ Give your audience a REASON to want to read further
(4) Think ‘mobile’ view when you write it – so short email type length and format viewed on a mobile device
As a Recruiter:
(1) If generic, I rarely read them. (only scan)
(2) If heavy, wordy paragraphs exist, I scan or skip
(3) I may or may not send to the client – issues highlighted above DO NOT help advocate for your candidacy.
What has worked for YOU?